Saturday, 23 May 2015

Summer Make-up Routine


As the sunshine gradually starts to makes an appearance, it's important to consider the use of SPF in your daily makeup routine. With this in mind, I've recently started to switch up a few products to ensure I'm doing the most to protect my skin during the summer months. I'm often very wary of what I use on my skin, particularly when it comes to sun screens, as I always associate them with those greasy lotions used on summer holidays. Luckily, I've recently discovered another, much more appealing, alternative which I’ve effortlessly incorporated into my everyday makeup routine.

I’ve never liked the feel of foundation on my skin, and I’ve usually got a bit of colour thanks to the Clarins facial tanner (review here), so during the day I just stick to my trusty Collection concealer to cover any blemishes and dark circles under my eyes.

I’ll then apply a light dusting of the Laura Mercier Mineral Powder SPF15* all over my face to even everything out, hold the concealer in place and keep the shine at bay. Powder is a must-have product for me so I was super pleased to find out that they do an SPF15 version; it’s perfect for anyone looking to incorporate sun protector into their everyday summer make-up without the use of an oily lotion or tinted moisturiser. It contains Zinc Oxide which works as a sunscreen agent to block the sun's harmful rays and, for me, it’s the best solution to protecting my skin not only through the summer months, but all year round. It buffs into the skin really smoothly and can be used as a buildable foundation for more coverage or a pigmented powder for a more natural finish. I’ll be doing a full review soon so be sure to check back for that.

For a bit of definition and warmth I’ll apply some of the Benefit Hoola bronzer to my cheeks. I’ve used this product for years and it’s an absolute favourite. I’ve been reaching for the Clinique Chubby Stick Cheek Colour Balm* in Robust Rhubarb pretty much every day. It’s a lovely creamy texture and adds a nice tint of colour and glow to the cheeks. It’s easy to use and convenient to pop in your bag for touch-ups on-the-go. If I’m feeling lazy I’ll also use this on my lips; it’s a gorgeous coral shade and perfect for the summer months.

I keep my eye makeup pretty simple during the day, usually just sticking to winged eyeliner and mascara. I’ve finally been getting some use out of my Benefit They’re Real Mascara as it’s dried up a little and I find it so much easier to use (anyone else prefer dried out mascaras?). I finish off with a touch of the Clarins Instant Light Lip Perfector and I’m ready to go.

What are your favourite summer products?